Your home insurance’s all-risk property cover is very protective of your home. In the event of a claim, it is the Swiss army knife cover that intervenes where the others cannot operate.
It is sometimes included in very comprehensive home insurance formulas or available as an option.
A very covering guarantee
The all-risk real estate guarantee covers you when none of your guarantees can intervene. For example, it is often used on the occasion of a specific event: a storm, an act of vandalism, or land subsidence.
1. NATURAL DISASTER – STORM – WHEN THE WINDS ARE NOT HIGH ENOUGH
The recognition of a state of natural disaster or a storm assumes fairly strict conditions: for example, strong winds, many people affected, or even significant damage to your home.
It happens that you do not meet the conditions and that you are therefore not compensated. This is where property all-risk protection comes in. In general, it covers:
- Falling trees on your roof, walls, or garage even if the winds blew less than 100 km/h. Indeed, most insurers consider this to be the minimum speed of a storm.
- Subsidence of land without the state of natural disaster has been recognized.
- An outdoor installation damaged by frost: a heat pump, for example.
2. VANDALISM – GRAFFITI AND TAGS ON FACADES OR FENCES
Your vandalism warranty does not always cover damage outside your home. Moreover, it is not present in all the formulas. You don’t have it or it can’t work? Most often, your all-risk real estate guarantee compensates you for:
- Cleaning of tags or graffiti,
- Repairs to walls or fences damaged by a malicious person.
3. INSIDE YOUR HOME – FOR ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE
In general, if your chandelier is destroyed by fire or water damage, your home insurance reimburses it. It’s a whole different story if it is accidentally unhooked. This is where your Swiss army knife protection comes into play. Here are some examples of cases in which it can act:
- Your chandelier hanging from the ceiling comes off for no apparent reason. It breaks the glass part of your coffee table.
- An unfortunate nudge and your perfume bottle fall from your bathroom cabinet. It chips the enamel of your sink.
- A heavy object stored on a cupboard falls and damages some slats of your floor.
When your protection fails
Even if the all-risk real estate guarantee is very covering, it does not act in all cases. Pay attention to the exclusions before signing your contract
. These are the situations in which your insurance does not cover you.
1. YOU ARE PERFORMING MAJOR WORK IN YOUR HOUSING
You modify the structure of your house and there is collateral damage? In general, your all-risk real estate guarantee does not intervene, even if the work is carried out by a professional.
It considers, in fact, that you should have taken out property damage insurance to cover this risk.
It is often the same thing if you are carrying out work to bring up to standard, asbestos removal or defrocking of elements containing lead.
2. YOUR HOME IS POORLY MAINTAINED OR INFECTED BY MICRO-ORGANISMS
Generally, you are also not protected if the damage is caused by:
- Micro-organisms such as insects, termites, beetles, fungi or rodents,
- Lack of maintenance.
- Subsidence of land when you live above marl, a quarry, a mine, or galleries.
Beneficial protection for owners
The all-risk real estate guarantee is especially interesting if you are an owner or non-occupant owner. It is also if you rent a cottage or guest room.
Indeed, you are responsible for the exterior of your home, your garden, your swimming pool, your outbuildings, or your renewable energy equipment. This is not the case for a tenant.
By choosing this effective protection, you cover your entire home in many situations.
The additional cost to acquire it is modest: between 10 and 20 euros per year depending on the insurers. Some even reserve this possibility for owners only.